Social bookmarking has sparked a new era of sharing different media. This online tool allows you to bookmark anything you think may be of interest to others and save the link in a list. It has fast replaced the more old fashioned techniques such as sharing content through email. The social bookmarking site works by sharing the link to specified content and saves it into a list created by the users of the website. This allows others to search for specific content, browse what has been bookmarked and then choose what they wish to view.
There are currently several social bookmarking services available including Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit and Delicious whose influence are beginning to outweigh that of the major search engines because of the simplistic way topics are organized and positioned instead of having to trawl through lists of endless search results to find the information you need.
So what do you need to do to get started? Just follow these simple steps:
1) A way to begin is to visit the various social bookmarking sites to look at the way they are set up – there are two main ways:
- Copy and paste the link to the web page.
- Use widgets, which allow you to bookmark web pages as you are browsing.
2) Choose the social bookmarking site that you wish to use and register for an account. You will be sent a user-name and password to access the website.
3) Build your list of links and organize your content by using topic keywords or by date.
4) Decide whether you wish you lists to be available publicly or more privately.
- If your lists are public anyone who uses the site will be able to access the content.
- If your lists are private you can control who has access to your list.
5) Find other users of the site and link to them by following their list.
Social bookmarking sites have become a popular promotional tool for blogs and websites. It can also influence the ranking of websites in search engines and directs more visitors to your website which in turn will have a positive effect on your profits.